Cambridge Mechatronics Limited (CML) is a multi-disciplinary company, developing camera module solutions utilising our cutting-edge shape memory alloy (SMA) technology. Our technology is shipping in top tier flagship smartphones, as well as inside drones, wearable devices, and other consumer products.
We have approximately 650 granted and pending patents based around our platform technology, which allows the control, positioning and movement of smart materials with high precision. CML is proud to rank in the top 25 applicants in terms of yearly UK patent filings, on par with larger technology licensing companies such as Arm, Imagination Technologies and Rolls Royce.
CML’s SMA wire is thinner than the width of a human hair and can be positioned with the accuracy of the wavelength of light. CML is the only company in the world to master and control these materials with such exceptional accuracy.
The work environment at CML is both stimulating and exciting, as we are involved throughout the entire product development process from inception through to mass production, which provides a real sense of achievement for our employees.
We are looking for a dynamic and ambitious engineer to join our growing team of world-class engineers who will make their mark on our smart actuator technology. The role will report to the Systems Group Manager, who heads up our team developing performance solutions for our technology.
We are looking for someone who is passionate, interested and interesting. You will need to be able to play a significant role in a highly skilled team, prioritising activities, balancing long and short-term objectives and finding efficient ways to solve problems. The role involves some travel to Asia and America to support the development of our actuator technology and solutions.
Work within the team of mechanical, control, electronics, firmware engineers and physicists at CML to build on the proprietary SMA actuator system and control algorithms that CML has developed to meet the needs of the market.
Interface with CML’s partners and customers to understand their requirements and to deliver the assistance that they need to use our product, including assisting in technology transfer to high volume mass production.
Develop and improve methods and procedures to enhance and assess the performance of the SMA system (interaction of mechanics, control and electronics).
Develop, maintain, document and improve product specifications, qualification standards and test methods.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in Engineering/Physical Science.
- Previous experience in developing technology or technology transfer.
- Strong skills in experimental design and analysis.
- Software skills, in one of C#, MATLAB, Python or other programming/scripting languages.
- Able to demonstrate you are a strong team player and can effectively interact and work with other technical teams. Strong analytical skills and a passion for technology are also expected.
- Self-motivated, able to prioritise activities and allocation of resource and have excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Experience of working in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment, with the ability to assimilate information and requests from multiple sources is essential.
- >1 years’ experience in industry, ideally working in commercialisation of a product.
- Experience interacting with customers.
- Experience or understanding of control theory and systems (sensors, actuators, controllers).
- Experience of manufacturing environments and quality control.
- A working understanding of mechanical systems and experience in testing them.
- A working understanding of electronics hardware.
- An appreciation of mechanical design.
- A working understanding of microprocessors.
- Scripting for scientific analysis e.g. data visualisation, signal/image processing or statistical modelling.
We have roles that you can help define and mould to your skills and ambitions within a multi-disciplinary team. We are happy to accommodate individuals with different skill sets and you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to a dynamic and fast growing company with a global reach. Your salary package will be very competitive and dependent upon relevant academic and industrial experience.
- Competitive salary
- Travel opportunities
- Opportunities to work in China
- Free breakfast cereals, fresh fruit, tea & freshly ground coffee, daily
- Lunchtime leisure activities (tennis/table tennis/gaming)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular social and team events
- Shower facilities
- Private Health Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 holidays plus public holidays (total of 33 days a year)
- Training by world leading experts
Please send your CV and covering letter to our Human Resources team at: [email protected]