Cambridge Mechatronics Limited (CML) is a multi-disciplinary company, developing camera module solutions utilising our cutting-edge shape memory alloy (SMA) technology. Our technology is shipping in top tier flagship smartphones, as well as inside drones, wearable devices, and other consumer products.
We have approximately 650 granted and pending patents based around our platform technology, which allows the control, positioning and movement of smart materials with high precision.
CML’s SMA wire is thinner than the width of a human hair and can be positioned with the accuracy of the wavelength of light. CML is the only company in the world to master and control these materials with such exceptional accuracy.
The work environment at CML is stimulating and exciting, as we are involved throughout the entire product development process from inception through to mass production, which provides a real sense of achievement for our employees.
We are looking for an experienced patent attorney with the ability to work with complex technologies within a dynamic commercial environment that requires high levels of collaboration, pragmatism and strategic thinking around intellectual property (IP).
Previous in-house experience is desirable, but the role would also suit an individual with a private practice background and with the right motivation and mentality to move in house.
With significant scope for development, the position will allow you to take a high degree of IP/legal responsibility for assigned business areas, to assist with the continued development of CML’s IP function, and to contribute in many different ways to the company’s continued growth.
Reporting to the Director of IP, you will work as part of a collaborative IP team and interact extensively with engineers, managers and other colleagues in the Cambridge office and beyond.
- Make a significant contribution to CML as it continues to grow its intellectual property (IP) portfolio and to maintain the company’s world-leading IP position in SMA technology
- Take responsibility for IP and other legal issues for one or more of CML’s product areas which are at various stages of the product life-cycle
- Develop a high degree of technical expertise and good industry knowledge, and build excellent working relationships with IP, technical and commercial colleagues
- Help with invention capture, draft patent applications and manage patent drafting by outside counsel
- File and prosecute patent applications in the UK and Europe and manage international patent families
- Carry out patent searching and provide advice on third-party patent rights
- Support the further development of CML’s IP strategy and IP risk mitigation, and help make decisions about patent filing and maintenance
- Contribute to the continued development of the company’s IP practices, systems, processes and knowledge
- Prepare IP-related reports and presentations for internal and sometimes external use
- Option to carry out more general legal work relating to IP licensing and other commercial agreements if desired
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- An undergraduate degree or higher in engineering, physics or a similar subject
- UK and European qualified patent attorney
- 2-4 years of post-qualification experience, although outstanding applicants with different levels of experience will also be considered
- Good understanding of the physics and the design of mechanical devices
- Excellent patent drafting skills
- Able to work well in teams and establish strong relationships within a dynamic company
- Creative, flexible and enthusiastic approach
- Ability to communicate clearly, precisely and concisely
- Practical and commercial approach to IP
- A clear, logical and analytical mind
- Organised with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
We have roles that you can help define and mould to your skills and ambitions within a multi-disciplinary team. We are happy to accommodate individuals with different skill sets and you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to a dynamic and fast growing company with a global reach. Your salary package will be very competitive and dependent upon relevant academic and industrial experience.
- Competitive salary
- Travel opportunities
- Free breakfast cereals, fresh fruit, tea & freshly ground coffee, daily
- Lunchtime leisure activities (tennis/table tennis/gaming)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular social and team events
- Shower facilities
- Private Health Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 holidays plus public holidays (total of 33 days a year)
- Training by world leading experts
Please send your CV and covering letter to our Human Resources team at [email protected]