Cambridge Mechatronics Limited (CML) is a multi-disciplinary company, developing camera module solutions utilising our cutting-edge shape memory alloy (SMA) technology. Our technology is shipping in top tier flagship smartphones, as well as inside drones, wearable devices, and other consumer products.
We have approximately 650 granted and pending patents based around our platform technology, which allows the control, positioning and movement of smart materials with high precision. CML is proud to rank in the top 25 applicants in terms of yearly UK patent filings, on par with larger technology licensing companies such as Arm, Imagination Technologies, and Rolls Royce.
CML’s SMA wire is thinner than the width of a human hair and can be positioned with the accuracy of the wavelength of light. CML is the only company in the world to master and control these materials with such exceptional accuracy.
The work environment at CML is stimulating and exciting, as we are involved throughout the entire product development process from inception through to mass production, which provides a real sense of achievement for our employees.
We are looking for a dynamic and ambitious firmware applications engineer to join our growing team of world-class multi-disciplinary engineers who are making their mark on our smart actuator technology. The role will report to the Applications Group Manager, who heads up our team delivering leading edge solutions for our technology.
We are looking for someone who is passionate, interested, and interesting. You will need to be able to play a significant role in a highly skilled team, prioritising activities, balancing long and short-term objectives and finding efficient ways to solve problems. The role may involve some travel to Asia and America a to support the development of our actuator technology and solutions.
- Work within the multi-disciplinary team of applications and performance engineers to tune and specialise the proprietary SMA control algorithms that CML has developed to meet the needs of the customer.
- Take ownership of CML’s silicon SDK development and example application code
- Customise embedded firmware solutions to drive our actuator technology, and support transfer of these into high volume production.
- Develop and improve the methods and procedures to enhance our ability to deliver successful products to customers.
- Interface with CML’s partners and customers to understand their requirements and to deliver the assistance that they need to use our products.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- BSc or BEng in Electronic Engineering or other relevant degree course.
- Clear, effective written and verbal communication skills.
- 3 years’ demonstrable industrial experience and achievements.
- 3 years’ experience in embedded C/C++ programming of microcontrollers.
- Experience working with Field Application Engineers.
- Specification and development of customer facing reference code.
- SDK creation and specification experience.
- Use of oscilloscopes.
- Defect tracking and peer review.
- Experience of remote and onsite customer support.
Skills of Interest
- Use of Python.
- Appreciation of Agile development methods.
- Test Driven Development (TDD).
- Writing specifications.
- Creating technical documentation.
- Appreciation of mechanical design.
- You must also be able to demonstrate you are a strong team player, and that you can effectively interact and work with other technical teams. Strong analytical skills and a passion for technology are also expected.
- You must also be self-motivated, able to prioritise activities and have excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- You must be able to demonstrate experience of working in a fast-paced environment, be able to assimilate information and requests from customers and partners, and be comfortable with customer-facing interaction.
We have roles that you can help define and mould to your skills and ambitions within a multi-disciplinary team. We are happy to accommodate individuals with different skill sets and you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to a dynamic and fast growing company with a global reach. Your salary package will be very competitive and dependent upon relevant academic and industrial experience.
- Competitive salary
- Training by world leading experts
- 25 holidays plus public holidays (33 days a year)
- Private Health Insurance
- Life insurance
- Travel opportunities
- Opportunities to work in China
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free fruit, breakfast cereal, tea and freshly ground coffee daily
- Regular social and team events
- Lunchtime leisure activities (tennis/table tennis/gaming)
- Shower facilities
Please send your CV and covering letter to our Human Resources team at [email protected]