Cambridge Mechatronics Limited (CML) is a high technology design and engineering company based in the historic university town of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. We specialise in pioneering and developing miniature motors using our cutting-edge shape memory alloy (SMA) technology.
CML’s miniature motors have shipped in drones, wearable cameras and smartphones and we have achieved this through technology licensing and partnerships with global manufacturing corporations.
We have approximately 200 granted and pending patents based around our platform technology which allows the control, positioning and movement of smart materials with high precision. CML’s SMA motors are smaller than the width of a human hair and can be positioned with the accuracy of the wavelength of light. CML is the only company in the world to master and control these materials with such exceptional accuracy.
The work environment at CML is stimulating and exciting as the company is involved throughout the entire product development process from inception through to mass production, which provides a real sense of achievement for CML’s employees.
We are looking for a dynamic and ambitious engineer to join our growing team of world-class engineers who will make their mark on our smart actuator technology. The role will report to the Systems Group Manager , who heads up our team developing performance solutions for our technology.
We are looking for someone who is passionate, interested and interesting. You will need to be able to play a significant role in a highly skilled team, prioritising activities, balancing long and short-term objectives and finding efficient ways to solve problems. The role involves some travel to Asia and America to support the development of our actuator technology and solutions.
- Work within the team of mechanical, control, electronics, firmware engineers and physicists at CML to build on the proprietary SMA actuator system and control algorithms that CML has developed to meet the needs of the market.
- Interface with CML’s partners and customers to understand their requirements and to deliver the assistance that they need to use our product, including assisting in technology transfer to high volume mass production.
- Develop and improve methods and procedures to enhance and assess the performance of the SMA system (interaction of mechanics, control and electronics).
- Develop, maintain, document and improve product specifications, qualification standards and test methods.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- A degree from a top university in Engineering/Physical Science
- Previous experience in developing technology or technology transfer
- Strong skills in experimental design and analysis
Software skills, in C#, MATLAB, Python or other programming/scripting languages
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- >1 years’ experience in industry, ideally working in commercialisation of a product
- Experience or understanding of control theory and systems (sensors, actuators, controllers)
- Experience of manufacturing environments and quality control
- A working understanding of mechanical systems and experience in testing them
- A working understanding of electronics hardware
- An appreciation of mechanical design
- A working understanding of microprocessors
Able to demonstrate you are a strong team player, and can effectively interact and work with other technical teams. Strong analytical skills and a passion for technology are also expected.
Self-motivated, able to prioritise activities and allocation of resource and have excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills.
Experience of working in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment, with the ability to assimilate information and requests from multiple sources is essential.
We have roles that you can help define and mould to your skills and ambitions within a multi-disciplinary team. We are happy to accommodate individuals with different skill sets and you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to a dynamic and fast growing company with a global reach. Your salary package will be very competitive and dependent upon relevant academic and industrial experience.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Private Health Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 holidays plus public holidays (a total of 33 days a year)
- Training by world leading experts
- Travel opportunities
- Opportunities to work in China
- Free tea and freshly ground coffee
- Free breakfast cereals and fresh fruit
- Lunchtime leisure activities (tennis/table tennis/gaming)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular social and team events
- Shower facilities
Please send your CV and covering letter to our Human Resources team at [email protected]