Cambridge Mechatronics Limited (CML) is a multi-disciplinary company, developing camera module solutions utilising our cutting-edge shape memory alloy (SMA) technology. Our technology is shipping in top tier flagship smartphones, as well as inside drones, wearable devices, and other consumer products.
We have approximately 650 granted and pending patents based around our platform technology, which allows the control, positioning and movement of smart materials with high precision. CML is proud to rank in the top 25 applicants in terms of yearly UK patent filings, on par with larger technology licensing companies such as Arm, Imagination Technologies and Rolls Royce.
CML’s SMA wire is thinner than the width of a human hair and can be positioned with the accuracy of the wavelength of light. CML is the only company in the world to master and control these materials with such exceptional accuracy.
The work environment at CML is stimulating and exciting as the company is involved throughout the entire product development process from inception through to mass production, which provides a real sense of achievement for CML’s employees.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about Control Engineering to work on our firmware and with our systems engineers. Shape memory alloy is highly non-linear, hysteretic, varies with time, ambient temperature and its surroundings. You will develop high performance model-based control solutions which operate in a resource constrained embedded environment.
You will work alongside our Control experts to develop CML’s SMA modelling and control algorithms that enable our world leading products. As part of this you will define, develop, and maintain our computational modelling library, implement enhancements to control algorithms and will develop and execute verification and qualification tests for CML’s SMA solutions. You will be responsible for evaluation and roll out of improvements and changes to the control algorithm, to our Systems and Application Teams for use.
- Take ownership of our SMA dynamic modelling library, and prototype model-based control solutions. Take a hands-on role in the continuous improvement of CML’s world leading SMA control technology. You will be an expert on dynamic modelling, controller requirements and function.
- Collaborate with our Mechanical Design, Electronics, Silicon, Production Firmware Teams and project experts to ensure CML remains a world leader in SMA actuator systems.
- Advise the Applications Teams on the subject of CML’s control.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Ideally a PhD in Control Engineering but a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Electronic Engineering or similar level of training or experience in Control Engineering and Dynamic Modelling may be sufficient
- Ideally >1 year experience in industry, preferably in consumer electronics
- Model-based controller development and real-time embedded systems experience
- Experience in control system design and analysis of dynamic systems
- Experience in dynamic modelling, simulation, and system identification
- Ability to prioritise activities, balancing long and short term objectives and finding efficient ways to solve problems
- Proficient skills in MATLAB, Simulink, and Simscape
- Proficient skills in at least one of or more of C, C#, or Python.
- A working understanding of mechanical systems and experience in testing them
Desirable Skills and Experience
- An Understanding of electronics hardware
- Experience of experimental design and analysis
- Experience of developing robust and self-tuning control systems
- Knowledge of optimization, parameter estimation, and signal processing
- Experience of developing test systems
- Transferring new technology into high volume mass production
We have roles that you can help define and mould to your skills and ambitions within a multi-disciplinary team. We are happy to accommodate individuals with different skill sets and you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to a dynamic and fast growing company with a global reach. Your salary package will be very competitive and dependent upon relevant academic and industrial experience.
- Competitive salary
- Training by world leading experts
- 25 holidays plus public holidays (33 days a year)
- Private Health Insurance
- Life insurance
- Travel opportunities
- Opportunities to work in China
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular social and team events
- Lunchtime leisure activities (tennis/table tennis/running/gaming)
- Shower facilities
- Free fruit, breakfast cereal, tea and freshly ground coffee daily
Please send your CV and covering letter to our Human Resources team at: [email protected]